NBA betting is one of the most popular activities in the USA. If you have been asking yourself “0how does NBA betting work?” then you have found the right place to discover everything there is to know about betting on the NBA at the top USA sports wagering sites. Wagering on the National Basketball Association (NBA) is quite easy, but if you are a newbie, you may find the information a little overwhelming.
Well, there is no need to worry because we are going to give you a breakdown of everything involved in NBA Betting. From the different bets that you can place on NBA games to the best bookmakers in the USA. One of the things that you have to keep in mind is that the NBA is vast in the United States. So, it only makes sense that NBA wagering will also be as big. The fact that a lot of states in the United States have legalised online sports wagering only works to increase the popularity of the professional sport. Read this guide below to find out how to bet on the NBA.
Top NBA Betting Sites in the US
How NBA Betting Works Online
In the states that Sports betting has been allowed, particularly online wagering, NBA bettors can only place bets on single games as well as NBA future markets. If you are the age of 21 and over and reside within the states where betting is allowed, then you can wager on the results of most NBA games.
You can even take it a step further and vote on the and wager on the result on some of the games that will be played in the future. Legal sports betting is prevalent in many of the states in the US. These states include New Jersey, Nevada, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Rhode Island, Iowa as well as Indiana. Mobile and online NBA betting are allowed in Mississippi as long as you are inside the property of a legal sportsbook when doing it. So, unfortunately, you cannot do it at the comfort of your own home.
Nevertheless, if you reside in the states that we mentioned in the previous paragraph, then you can wager on your favourite NBA team or player using your mobile device.
The Most Popular NBA Bets
There are several popular ways that you can bet on the NBA in many of the states where sports gambling is legal. Here are just a few ways that many NBA bettors enjoy and use most often:
- Money line Betting on the NBA: In this type of bet, all you have to do is choose which team you believe will win in a particular game. The odds of each team will either be represented with a (-) or a (+) sign. The favourite usually has the (-) while the underdog will have the (+) sign.
- Betting on NBA using the Point Spread: With this wager, the sportsbook will determine a point spread, and all you have to do is bet on whether you think a particular team will cover the spread or not. If you bet on the favoured team, then that specific team needs to score more points than what has been determined on the spread. While the underdog must only lose or win by less than what has been set on the spread.
- Over/under NBA Betting – This bet is also called the totals bet. With this wager, you bet on the total number of points that will be scored in a game by both the teams playing. The sportsbook will set the number of points that it believes will be scored and all you have to do is wager on whether the total will be over or under the set number.
- Parlay Betting on the NBA – This wager means that you have combined two or more bets. The merging of bets will allow you to have a bigger payout than just placing a single bet. So, you can use the point spread bet to wager on various matches in the NBA. this should, in theory, get you a higher return on your bet. While you may get more money using the parlay bet, this is one of the riskier bets.
- Proposition NBA betting: prop bets are usually constructed as a “yes/no” question. For example, do you think LeBron James will score more than 30 points in a game or not?
- Future wagering: Future betting is wagering on events that will happen in the future. So, you would bet on which team you think will win in the NBA final. Or the number of games you think a team will win in the regular season.
- Live Betting: This bet is used when the game is in session. So, you can bet on a number of things while the teams are playing. You can use a variety of bets such as the money line, point spread etc.
Understanding NBA Betting Odds
There are a number of NBA betting systems that you can use to determine the odds of an NBA game. So, as we have mentioned above, the money line bet will be represented by either a negative or positive sign. Some sportsbooks choose to use fractions to reflect the odds of each team in the National Basketball Association.
While some bookmakers will list the odds in decimals, decimals need you to have solid maths skills to understand them and subsequently calculate them. Whatever odds system is used sportsbooks will offer bettors the opportunity to parlay multiple wagers into one combined bet.
Odds in the NBA are determined on what sports wagering websites think is the closest method to handicap the wager so that there is a 50/50 chance. The internet bookmakers will set most often set the standard odds at (-110) for the favourite and (+110) for the underdog. This will allow them to take a 10% profit off the bets placed on either of the teams.
NBA Betting Systems
There are more advanced betting systems that players can use. NBA betting experts usually use these systems. Here are some systems that you may find useful the next time you place wagers:
- The High Totals System: The internet sportsbooks will undersell games that sportsbooks think have a high scoring capability in terms of their actual scoring capability. This system is used by NBA betting pros when they want to bet in bulk on games they know will score above average.
- The Blowout system: The public and oddsmakers usually get dramatic when a team has won a game by 15 points or more. Over time, the numbers show that the teams will cover the spread of less than half of the time. The blowout system is often used when the public is being faded or when line shading.
- The Bounce Back system: This system follows the blowout system where some teams can make a comeback after a 15-point loss. These teams often cover the spread as well.
There are many other systems that we can tall about but check out our NBA betting systems for a detailed explanation on the various systems.